- 01403 820 737
Ifold is the largest of the four villages and is located on the eastern edge of the Parish, immediately adjacent to the county of Surrey with the border path running along its northern side. The Wey & Arun Canal runs along its eastern side.
Ifold, as it is today, arose from historic Ifold Estate which comprised a large private property, ‘Ifold House’, built in the early 1800’s on the site of an original, with over 315 acres of land. The layout of the settlement and the ‘road’ network was determined by the Building plots of between 1/3 acre and 5 acres were sold off from 1931 and Ifold House was demolished in 1936.
Initially, basic dwellings were built on the plots by the new owners. The dwellings were used for weekend/holiday retreats and none had mains services. During the Second World War more families began to live permanently in Ifold to avoid the London Blitz and by the 1950’s all the plots had been sold. The company selling the land continued to own the roads, such as they were and the verges; although they did not maintain them. The roads within the Ifold Estate are officially classified as footpaths, or bridleways.
The Ifold Residents Association was formed circa 1944 to organise funding the repair and maintenance of the roads.
In 1953 the Ifold Residents Association became Ifold Freeholders & Residents Association (IFRA) when it joined forces with the Ifold Garden Association and Ifold Social Club to fundraise in order to purchase the land ‘Kelsey’ on which there was already a small building that was being used for community gatherings (Kelsey Hall).
In 1973 ownership of the roads and verges passed to a newly created off-shoot of IFRA. A management company was formed, Ifold Estates Limited, voluntarily run by residents who undertook to formalise and centralise the maintenance for the benefit of the residents.
In 1986 Kelsey Hall Management Committee was formed to oversee the running of Kelsey Hall and IFRA concentrated solely on social and fundraising activities. During this period The Ifold Gardening Association became Ifold Gardening Club.
Seven of the original Ifold Estate properties remain as a feature of Ifold: The Lodge, Keepers Cottage, Ifold Cottage, Trelayne, Butlers (formerly Alpine Cottage), Hogwood House, The Olde Garden. Some of these properties are Grade II Listed Buildings.
Ifold has many wooded areas, including a tract of ancient woodland owned by the Woodland Trust, situated on the corner of Plaistow Road and Foxbridge Lane. The Lanes provide idyllic country walks leading into Forestry Commission land and also onto the Wey & Arun Canal with its associated towpaths.
The story of Ifold House and Estate is documented and can be read about in ‘Ifold, Loxwood and Plaistow - Forgotten Border Villages’ by C H Bayley available from Ifold Local History Society.
A map of all the houses within Ifold has been created. There are two versions available, a paper copy and a digital one. Both raise funds for the annual IFRA Santa Parade. The paper version (A3) of the Ifold map is available upon request by contacting IFRA via the Kelsey Hall email address email@example.com. It costs £1. An Index is also available for an additional £1. If you would like to access the digital version, please